File sharing is one of the basic services we all expect from a server. Having access to our files and folders from anywhere on whatever devices we are makes sure that we are never without the documents we need. In this screencast I cover how to set up the file sharing services on Mountain Lion Server. In the next screencast I cover how to access those files and shares from a remote computer to show you how this works in a hosted environment.
Here are some of the things I cover in this screencast:
- Setting up different folders as shares.
- Using permissions on each of the shares to make sure only authorized users have access to it.
- How to set up shares for different services like AFP and SMB.
- How to create a home folder for a user on the server.
- What each of the settings in the File Sharing Service do.
- How to open TCP ports 139 and 548 in your firewall.